At Tanadoona, we offer campers a traditional summer camp experience with canoeing, archery, swimming, kayaking, environmental education, high ropes course and more. Our main focus, however, is building positive relationships with campers and helping them discover their spark. Most counselors live on-site throughout the summer camp season, although some positions allow counselors to commute from home. Staff have free time during most weekends (Friday evening – Sunday afternoon). All meals are provided while working.
Hiring will begin Winter 2019/2020 for summer camp staff.
Current Openings: (2020 updates coming soon)
- 2019 Positions at a Glance
- Full Position Descriptions:
To apply, complete BOTH of the following forms:
2019 Important Information for Staff
- Leadership & Adventure Staff Training: tbd
- Certification Training: tbd
- General Staff Training: tbd
Camp Season: June 7 – September 2, 2020
General Staff Departure: tbd
Leadership Departure: tbd
Can’t work the whole summer?
We want staff to have some flexibility to take on other adventures throughout the summer, while still serving all our campers.
A few things to note:
- ALL new staff are expected to be a part of staff training. It is very encouraged for returning staff.
- Hiring preference is given to staff who can commit to more weeks or the full summer.
- Some positions may require a full season commitment.
- ALL staff receive Friday evening-Sunday afternoon off.
Benefits of working at Tanadoona
- Build On Your Education: You’ll receive nearly two weeks of staff training and on-going team-building sessions. In these trainings, we’ll learn about camp activities, behavior management, parent communication, how to work with youth of all ages and backgrounds, the importance of developmental assets, and proper health and safety guidelines. These are valuable skills you’ll use throughout your life, no matter what profession you follow. Check out this New York Times article and Huffington Post article to learn more about the benefits of camp (or if you need to convince your parents!).
- Help Youth Grow Strong: Tanadoona counselors are caring individuals who love the outdoors and are dedicated to giving youth an amazing summer camp experience. You will help campers learn about themselves and others, learn new skills and encourage them to have fun in a safe outdoor environment.
- Build Incredible New Relationships: You will meet the wildest, most caring, fun-loving, adorable, energetic, courageous and confident campers around! They will impact your lives forever, and you will create memories that last a lifetime for you – and for them. You will also meet people from all over the USA and around the world. About half of Tanadoona’s staff will be from a country other than the USA. This is because we cherish diversity and want kids and staff to learn from other cultures. We embrace our differences! You will make friends for life in just one summer!
- Have Fun! While “camp is for the camper,” you’ll leave having had an amazing summer, meeting counselors from around the world, learning about yourself, trying new things and exploring the Twin Cities.